Europe’s
Young Citizens
- EXT. ST. MARIENTHAL CAR PARK / DAY
A
mini bus arrives at the car park. A group of students get
off
the bus.
Individual
students are hanging out on the premises, chatting.
Some
run up to a group of newcomers, who they already seem to
know,
and hug them cordially.
Eve
gets off the bus hesitantly and looks around. She looks at the
display of her cellphone and notices that it has no signal. Sadly,
she turns it off and puts in in her pocket.
She
picks up her luggage and goes to reception.
To
this scene music played by the band could be added. Such a song
might
also provide the leitmotif of the film.
Pictures
fom St. Marienthal
2.
INT. RECEPTION / DAY
A
drove of students is standing at the reception counter.
Prof.
Faust Falconieri (Faust) explains to EVE
why there should be students from different nationalities in each
room.
EVE
appears insecure and does not seem to know what to think of this
system.
Steffi
is listening to this conversation.
Prof.
Faust Falconieri The reason why we are here is to
meet other young people from Europe. You have to sleep in a room
with students from other nationalities.
EVE
why do I have to sleep with someone I don't know?
FAUST
Ok, Eve, it's true, you don't know them. But that's why we are here.
We want to get to know each other better
Monolog
MAREN: Nice to be here again. I am happy. But I miss Alex. I
was so excited to see him again, but he didn't come back. So, I'll
visit him next summer, when I will go to Sweden again. No … No...
Come on keep on smiling! And enjoy the time here.
3.
INT. / ROOM / DAY
Steffi
is sitting on her bed, her luggage in front of
her.
She is here for the first time and does not know what to
expect.
Noise on the corridor.
Door
opens.
Josefin
enters.
She
puts her bag down and looks around.
Steffi
Hello,
I'm Steffi from Germany
Josefin
Hi,
I'm Josefin. Are you here for the first time?
Steffi
nods.
Josefin
points to a cupboard.
Is
that one already taken?
Steffi
nods.
Josefin
opens her suitcase and starts putting her things in
the
cupboard.
Steffi
watches her interestedly.
Where
are you from?
Josefin
From
Italy
Josefin
takes a camera from her suitcase and puts it on the bed.
Steffi
Do
you do photography as a hobby?
Josefin
Yes,
I do. I took lovely pictures when I was here last year.
Monolog
FAUST God, forgive me! I am a sinner! I promised to love you, to
be a priest, your servant, to give you my life. But now I don't know.
I am afraid I am not faithful to you anymore.
I
am 48 today and I have the impression I have wasted my life. I miss
something. I wish I had a daughter. I wish she called just to tell me
“Daddy, I love you”.
4.
INT. / DINING HALL / EVENING
Steffi
looks around, then goes to the buffet.
As
she is looking for a vacant seat at one of the tables, her and Tom's
glances meet. He looks at her in a friendly way.
Tom
This
seat isn't taken. Sit down.
Steffi
Thank
you.
She
sits down.
What's
your name?
Tom
I
am Tom.
Steffi
Where
are you from?
Tom
I
am from Italy. What's your name?
Steffi
I
am Steffi
(break)
Do
you already know which workshop you’re in?
Tom
No,
not yet.
Steffi
I’m
in the drama group again.
Tom
Is
there a drama group?
Steffi
I
was in our school’s drama group.
Tom
That's
awesome.
Steffi
So
we could join it together
Tom
Yes,
I love drama, there I am able to express myself.
Monolog
Lukasz
9
o' clock. Second day just started. But it's only 5 days left. We need
to come back to reality, to everyday main stream.
Let
me think about it.
Do
I want it?
Do
I want do go back home and leave everything behind me? To lose all
those crazy people? Why did people build weapons? Why didn't they
invent a clock with “stay as long as you want” option? I want to
stop time. I just want to stay here without caring about anything. I
am a fool. I am afraid of tomorrow. I don't want to change.
5.
INT. / Party Room / EVENING
Maren
Have you already met all of your roommates?
Tabea
Yes … they are nice but there is one girl. Look. Yeah. I don't know
what to call her!
Maren
Oh I hope she isn't like that mean girl from last year.
Tabea
Me neither …
Josefin
enters Hallo
Eve
comes
Tabea
Wait she's coming. Yeah that's my
roommate.
Maren
Hey, nice to meet you! I've heard
so many great things sbout you . (smiling)
Eve
Really that's weird, because I'm a
bitch.
waiting
Maren
Nice.
Josefin
(she is taking a picture of them)
smile
Lukas
At least, now you know how to call
her. It's so good to have you two here again.
Josefin
I have missed you. (to Tom) So, Tom, how was your summer?
Tom
My summer? … great!
Josefin
What did you do?
Tom
What I did? … I travelled to
Palestine, it was … very good.
Steffi
(enters) Hi Tom,
Tom
(introducing Steffi) Hi
Steffi
Who is teaching the actors' group?
Maren
I think Andreas will do it again, like last year.
Tabea
Yes, of course, I already talked to him today.
Lukas
That would be nice, but I hope we will have more to do than last
year.
Steffi
Could you please tell me more about it?
Tom
Yes, please, what will we be doing there?
Josefin
Hmm, darling we are chilling, sitting around, having fun, drinking
beer.
Steffi
really?
Maren
No. Don't listen to her. She is just joking.
Tabea
Don't worry! You're gonna like it.
Josefin
(to Lukas) You look so sad. What's happened?
Eve
(coming back with something to drink, to Tom). Can I sit here?
Lukas
(to Josephine) This is my last year here. I will miss you.
Josefin
(to Lukas) The week has just started
Eve
And will you die in the end?
Tom
Friendship is great
Steffi
Yes, it is.
Tabea
Does anybody know which subjectwe will work on this year.
Jan
(he speaks something in czech (would you dance with me)
Eve
Oh my God! I hope he is in the drama group.
Jan
Drama, baby, drama.
Students
are sitting in small groups. One of the groups are
playing
cards or a board game, another is involved in a
discussion,
and a third one is singing.
Monolog
Steffi: (she is jogging) I wanna be crazy and not shy like
Josefin. Just once. Just talk to people and not being afraid of it.
It's so hard to meet new people when I can't open my mouth. I should
change something. May be here, may be St. Marienthal will change me
…?
8A
INT. / REHEARSAL ROOM ACTORS GROUP / DAY
Lucasz
run through a corridor to the band room. He opens it and they are
playing music.
Lucasz:(to
a band member) I am sorry, but have you seen my notebook?
Band
Member Yes, I have it here. Do you have drama now?
Lucasz:
Yes, I am late, see you later.
(Lucasz
closes the door and rushes away)
Monolog
TOM: (by the river, watching the water) So, New Year, new people,
how exiting! I enjoy watching others speaking and studying other
peoples conversations. Drama, it's interesting! If I am lucky I will
play chess with the devil, but probably not. You have to like
expressing yourself, and show feelings. In drama everyone is on the
same level, which makes me feel like I'm respected. Hopefully I will
make some new friends this year. Time will show.
continue
actors-gruop
8B
INT. / REHEARSAL ROOM / DAY
Lucasz
rushes into the rehearsal room where they are practicing their drama
play, and discussing the play.
Tabea:
I think, that it a good Idea to have something of the inercultural
problems in our play.
Andreas:
Yes, but we have to find a real situation. The scene must have real
moments and real conflicts.
Tom:
I have a suggestion.
Two
people form the reporters group come into the room.
REPORTER
1: Sorry. Can we just borrow Josefin for a minute?
REPORTER
2: We just want to ask a few questions.
JOSEFIN:
Sure!
JOSEFIN
goes away with the reporters.
Outside
- we follow the interview of Josefin.
Pictures
from St. Marienthal
Monolog
TABEA: Oh my God! It's fantastic here. All nice people, but shit!
I miss my brother so much! No! Stop! Wait! I should enjoy it
JOSEFIN
comes back, and sits down.
Tabea:
What did they want?
JOSEFIN:
They just asked about what we're doing in the drama group.
Andreas:
Ok, let's try to play this scene.
Eve
and Lukasz enter the Stage.
Monolog
EVE: May be the best way not to get your heart broken is to
pretend that you don't have one.
continue
actors-gruop
Josefin
and Eve are on the stage.
Mololog
Josefin. My dad has just called. Mum is feeling better. It's so
hard because I love it here and I really want to enjoy every moment.
But sometimes, I just can't excape my life back home, you know. I am
thinking about my little brother. And I wonder how his staying in
school was. If Dad remembers to help him with his homework. And I
think about by mum, of course. She is feeling better. That's good,
right? Yeah! But I really love it here. I really do.
ENDING
SCENE A — St Marienthal Car Park: All who came with the bus in
the first shot are packing their bags into a bus. Eve is walking
towards the bus when Jan comes up behind her.
JAN
Eve! Wait! Aren’t you going to say good-bye to me?
EVE
Maybe.
Jan
smiles and tries to be funny. Eve starts smiling a little.
EVE
Don’t go laugh yourself to death, you big old joker.
Eve
walks towards the bus with an evil smile.
JAN
I’ll call you!
EVE
I might answer.
Over
by the bus, Lucasz and Tabea are saying good-bye to Maren.
LUCASZ
(sadly but smiling) I’ll miss you all. At least you two will see
each other again.
TABEA
You know, I’m going to visit Maren in a few months. If you want you
could come too.
MAREN
Yeah, that would be awesome, wouldn’t it?
LUCASZ
Yes, I’d love that! It would be great!
Cut
there, over to ENDING SCENE B. ———
Monolog
JAN: is a party boy. But in the monologue he introduces a dream.
For many people may be surprising. He would like to live in New
Zealand to own a small cottage, a flock of sheep and have a wife and
children. And the surprising thing is that he doesn't want to live in
a big city and be on parties. But the reality is that he would like
to live a calm life.
ENDING
SCENE B — San Franciscus Room: Josefin and Steffi are packing
their bags when Tom knocks on their door. Josefin opens the door.
JOSEFIN
Oh, hi!
TOM
Hello. Is Steffi here?
JOSEFIN
Yes, right here.
Tom
comes in and smiles at Steffi who smiles back.
STEFFI
Hi, Tom.
TOM
How is it going?
JOSEFIN
I’m just going to... I’ll leave you two alone.
Josefin
leaves the room, smiling at Steffi hintingly. Tom sits down on the
bed across from Steffi.
STEFFI
I’m almost done packing. My bus leaves in half-an-hour.
TOM
Mine too.
Short
silence.
STEFFI
This week passed so fast. I’ve had so much fun. I’m going to miss
it here. *pause* I’m going to miss you.
TOM
But we will see each other next year.
STEFFI
I hope so.
Steffi
hugs Tom and he hugs her back.
Zoom
out and cut back to the car park yard. We see Eve stand outside the
bus door. She looks at her phone, looks up onto St Marienthal and
smiles. Then she steps onto the bus, closes the door and the bus
drives away. Lucasz, Tabea and Jan stand in the yard and wave
good-bye to them.
When
the bus vanishes out of sight by the gate, the end credits start
rolling, either with or without slow fade to black.
THE
END
No comments:
Post a Comment